Environmental Special Topics:
Collaborative Environmental Activism & Leadership
Cool Water: The Floridan Aquifer and Groundwater Resources
Answer all of the following study questions and email the attached questions and answers in Word of rtf format to the instructor by Canvas email no later than 5 pm on Sunday the last day of Session 7. In the beginning of your emial message identify the class session for the homework being submitted.
1. Describe the environmental crisis discussed in "Cool Water."
2. What role do industrial and agricultural interests play in depleting Florida groundwater?
3. How might an ecopragmatist approach protecting Florida's groundwater resources.
4. How might Earth First approach this same issue? You will need to do some web work to research this but use the information you gleaned from Eco-Warriors to get a sense of how they might deal with those depleting water resources.
5. Are Florida's water management districts uniformly effective in protecting groundwater resources? Explain your answer.
6. What issues seem to be impacting the SRWMD in protecting North Florida groundwater resources?
7. How might a radical environmental organization be expected to interact with SRWMD as compared to an organization organized around ecopragmatic principles?
8. Buckeye, PCS Phosphate and the Jacksonville Electric Authority are the three commercial users of Floridan aquifer groundwater. How might a radical environmental organization be expected to interact with SRWMD as compared to an organization organized around ecopragmatic principles?
9. What role did EarthJustice play in this case study?
10. What motivated the Taylor County leaders to situate a pulpwood plant in the county to begin with and what environmental concessions were required to do so?