Environmental Special Topics:
Collaborative Environmental Activism & Leadership
| Home |Overview |
Answer all of the following study questions and email the attached questions and answers in Word of pdf format to the instructor by Canvas email no later than 5 pm on Sunday the last day of Session 2. In the beginning of your emial message identify the class session for the homework being submitted.
1. Describe three distinct ways in which infectious disease is routinely transmitted via the hands, giving an example of a pathogen for each.
2. The persistence of a chemical in the soil is referred to with a specific term. Go to the web and research what this term might be, and explain it.
3. What is meant by "the environmental half-life of a chemical? (You will need to do web research to answer this).
4. What is the difference between bioaccumulation and biomagnification? (You will need to do web research to answer this).
5. What is the difference between bioaccumulation and bioconcentration? Can you research this and find any difference? (You will need to do web research to answer this).
6. Identify a factor you could change to reduce your risk, or your family’s risk, of infectious disease, explaining why this change would be effective.
7. Based on your reading of this chapter, design a poster that gives basic tips for food safety at home, written for members of the public who have a high school education.
8. In the event of a human influenza outbreak in a U.S. state, under what conditions do you think it would be appropriate for the state government to use quarantine and/or isolation to control the outbreak?
9. Describe the health connection between hepatitis B infection and exposure to aflatoxin, and explain the global pattern of disease that results.
10. Explain why radon stands out as an important source of exposure to naturally occurring ionizing radiation.